Text of an imperial patent, dated 15 September 1894, conferring official titles on Seah Eu Chin and his wives. The original document was not preserved, but the text was transcribed by Phua Chay Long in his book "Malaiya Chaoqiao Tongjian".
N.B. Chinese text may not display vertically in some browsers.
The following comment from Phua follows the text:
- 佘邦從 - Genealogical name of Seah Eu Chin
- 佘勉然 - Genealogical name of Seah Liang Seah. The middle character of these names follows the genealogical poem of the Seah clan.
- 資政大夫 - Grand Master for Assisting towards Good Governance, honorary title of the 2nd upper rank granted to civil officials (Hucker 7524)
- 夫人 - Mistress, formally used as a title for wives or mothers of civil officials of 1st or 2nd rank (Hucker 2066)
- There is a discrepancy between the ranks recorded here, which are of the 2nd rank in the Qing official grade system, and those recorded on the grave inscription, which are of the 4th grade.
Back to Resources